1/144 = 1/101 to 1/2000
1/72 = 1/100 to 1/60
1/48 = 1/59 to 1/40
1/32 = 1/39 to 1/1
- Biplanes and Rigged Types - 1/72 & smaller
- Biplanes and Rigged Types - 1/48 & larger
- Single Engine Prop - 1/72
- Single Engine Prop - 1/48 - Allied
- Single Engine Prop - 1/48 - Axis
- Multi Engine Prop - 1/72
- Multi Engine Prop - 1/48
- Jet Aircraft - 1/72
- Jet Aircraft - 1/48
- All Aircraft Except Civil - 1/32 & larger
- All Aircraft Except Civil - 1/144 & smaller
- Civil & Civil Use Aircraft - all scales
- Rotary Wing - all scales
- Scratchbuilt & Major Conversions - all scales
- Out of Box - All Aircraft - all scales
small scale = 1/49 & smaller
large scale = 1/48 & larger
- Fully Tracked AFVs - small scale
- Softskins, Halftracks & Armored Wheeled Vehicles - all periods - small scale
- Fully Tracked Closed Top AFVs - Allied - pre 1946 - large scale
- Fully Tracked Closed Top AFVs - Axis - pre 1946 - large scale
- Fully Tracked Closed Top AFVs - Modern - post 1945 - large scale
- Fully Tracked Open Top, Open Hatch (with interiors), Open Fighting/Crew Compartment (interior treatments will be judged) - Allied - pre 1946 - large scale
- Fully Tracked Open Top, Open Hatch (with interiors), Open Fighting/Crew Compartment (interior treatments will be judged) - Axis - pre 1946 - large scale
- Fully Tracked Open Top, Open Hatch (with interiors), Open Fighting/Crew Compartment (interior treatments will be judged) - Modern - post 1945 - large scale
- Softskins, Halftracks & Armored Wheeled Vehicles - all periods - large scale
- Ordnance & Prime Movers Under Tow, Including Siege, Fixed & Railway Artillery - all periods - all scales
- Major Conversions & Scratchbuilds - all periods - all scales
- Out of Box - All Military Vehicles - all periods - all scales
- Factory Stock - all scales
- Custom (Show) Cars - all years - 1/32 to 1/20
- Street Rods - pre 1960 - 1/32 to 1/20
- Competition Cars - Open Wheel & Dragster - all scales
- Competition Cars - Closed Wheel - all scales
- Street Machines & Pro Street (including Muscle Cars) - 1/32 to 1/20
- Pickups, 4x4s & Monster Trucks - all scales
- Commercial Vehicles, Fire, Rescue & Emergency Vehicles - all scales
- All Automotive - 1/43 & smaller
- All Automotive - larger than 1/20
- Motorcycles - all types - all scales
- Out of Box - All Automotive - all scales
- Oars/Sail - all scales
- Powered - small scale - 1/401 & smaller
- Powered - large scale - 1/400 & larger
- Submarines - all scales
- Out of Box - All Ships - all scales
- Foot & Mounted - 30mm & smaller
- Foot - 31mm to 90mm
- Mounted - 31mm to 90mm
- Foot - larger than 90mm
- Mounted - larger than 90mm
- Busts - all scales
- Figures - Fantasy, Science Fiction, TV, Movies & Comics - all scales
- Vignettes - Figures Only, No Vehicles - all periods - all subjects - all scales
SCIENCE FICTION & REAL SPACE
- Fictional Subjects and Equipment, including Spacecraft, Hypothetical, and Powered Suits - all scales
- Real Spacecraft, Vehicles and Equipment - all scales
DIORAMAS - ALL SCALES
- Military Vehicle Dioramas
- Aircraft Dioramas
- Ship Dioramas
- All Other Dioramas
- Collections - Five or More Related Subjects - all scales
- Miscellaneous - All Other Entries Not Included Above - all scales
HUMOR IN MODELING
- Humor in Modeling - all scales, all subjects
- Master Modeler - Models which have been first place winners at previous BuffCons
- Bantam (ages 10 and under) - all entries
- Junior (ages 11 to 17) - all Aircraft
- Junior (ages 11 to 17) - all Military
- Junior (ages 11 to 17) - all Automotive
- Junior (ages 11 to 17) - all Other Subjects
- This contest is open to all registrants. IPMS membership is encouraged, but not required.
- Neither Niagara Frontier Chapter, the proprietors of the contest site, or the judges assume liability for loss or damage to entries.
- Models which have been First Place winners at previous BuffCons may ONLY be entered in the Best of the Master Modelers category. Please do not abuse this rule. We like to see new models!
- Models may be displayed on simple bases. Except for Diorama categories, bases will not be considered during judging.
- The Chief Judge may combine or split categories prior to judging. The Chief Judge is responsible for all judging issues. All decisions of the Chief Judge are final.
- Models built to scales other than those listed shall be placed in the nearest appropriate scale category.
- Out of Box entries (including "Hi-Tech" kits) are to be constructed from the contents of the kit per the kit instructions,
with the following exceptions: you MAY fill seams; sand off rivets and panel lines; restore lost surface detail; drill out guns,
exhausts or other appropriate openings; thin edges; add rigging, antennae and simple tape or decal seat belts; and choose
alternate color schemes and decals. Weathering is permitted. You MAY NOT make or replace any part; add details; or separate
such parts as doors, canopies, surfaces or hatches; except as listed above.
THE KIT INSTRUCTION SHEET MUST BE DISPLAYED WITH YOUR ENTRY.
- Entries made from commercial vacuform kits shall be registered in the appropriate standard category.
- Conversions must constitute a major change of version, model or mark. Conversions must be accompanied by a description
of the changes involved. ENTRIES THAT USE A COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE CONVERSION KIT (OR KITS) WILL BE PLACED IN THE APPROPRIATE
- A scratchbuilt model shall comprise 25% or less of commercially available or kit supplied parts, with the remainder
fabricated by the modeler.
- Bantam and/or Junior modelers may enter Adult categories.
- All disputes will be referred to both the Category Coordinator and the Chief Judge for resolution.
- All awards must be picked up at the contest.
HANDLING OF MODELS
- It may become necessary for IPMS Niagara Frontier members (under the direct supervision of the Chief Judge) to adjust
placement of models on the display tables due to the varying amount of entries received in the contest categories.
- During judging, some judges may find it necessary to pick up a model to inspect its underside. If a modeler does not
want his/her model to be handled by the judges, he/she is to note this on the entry form that accompanies every model in
- Although not required, it is strongly recommended by IPMS Niagara Frontier that models be firmly attached to a base.
- Handling of models by contest personnel will be kept to an absolute minimum.